Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I hope it will serve to inspire you and perhaps inform you in some small way regarding the Holy Orthodox Faith or our Lord Jesus Christ. Feel free to comment or ask questions. Christ be with you!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Saint Agnes Virgin & Martyr: Mass Propers



Saint Agnes, Virgin amd Martyr

INTROIT. Me expectaverunt. Ps. 119THE ungodly laid wait for me to destroy me: but I will consider thy testimonies, O Lord: I see that all things come o an end: but thy commandment is exceeding broad. Ps. ibid. Blessed are those hat are undefiled in the way: and walk in the law of the Lord. V. Glory be.
COLLECT.
Almighty and everlasting God, who dost choose the weak things of the world to confound those things that are strong: mercifully grant that we who keep the feast of blessed Agnes thy Virgin and Martyr, may feel the succour of her intercession in thy sight. [Through]

The Epistle. Ecclesiasticus 51.1[Mass 21, Me expectaverunt.]
I will thank thee, O Lord and King, and praise thee, O God my saviour: I do give praise unto thy Name: for thou art my defender and helper, and hast preserved my body from destruction, and from the snare of the slanderous tongue, and from the lips that forge lies, and hast been mine helper against mine adversaries: and hast delivered me according to the multitude of thy mercies and greatness of thy Name, from the teeth of them that were ready to devour me, and out of the hands of such as sought after my life, and from the manifold afflictions which I had; from the choking of fire on every side, and from the midst of the fire which I kindled not; from the depth of the belly of hell, from an unclean tongue, and from lying words. By an accusation to the king from an unrighteous tongue my soul drew near even unto death, my life was near to the hell beneath. They compassed me on every side, and there was no man to help me; I looked for the succour of men, but there was none. Then thought I upon thy mercy, O Lord, and upon thy acts of old, how thou deliverest such as wait for thee, and savest them out of the hands of the enemies, O Lord our God.

GRADUAL. Ps. 45. Full of grace are thy lips: because God hath blessed thee for ever. V. Because of the word of truth, of meekness, and righteousness: and thy right hand shall teach thee terrible things.
Alleluia, alleluia. V. St. Matt. 25. The five wise virgins took oil in their vessels with their lamps: and at midnight there was a cry made: Behold the bridegroom cometh: go ye out to meet him, Christ the Lord. Alleluia.

After Septuagesima, instead of Alleluia, and verse following, is said:
TRACT. Come, thou bride of Christ, receive the crown which the Lord hath prepared for thee for ever: for whose love thou didst shed thy blood. V. Ps. 45. Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity: therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows. V. In thy comeliness and in thy beauty go forth, ride prosperously and reign.

GOSPEL. St Matthew 25:1-13a
[From Mass 19, Delexisti.]1 The kingdom of heaven shall be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment